Breastfeeding & Parenting Resources I Love!
Breastfeeding is natural… and learned. Finding the right support is key to helping you begin your breastfeeding and parenting relationship with confidence. As a lactation consultant, I support you as you prepare, overcome challenges, and reach your breastfeeding goals. I combine evidence based techniques, specialized training, and years of experience with non-judgmental support and encouragement.
Breastfeeding Made Simple
Nancy Mohrbacher, Kathleen Kendall-Tackett
– I love this book because it helps you get started easily, and explains the first few weeks in an easy-to-understand way.
Womanly Art of Breastfeeding 8th Edition
Diane Wiessinger, La Leche League, et al
– I love this new, 8th edition! This is great for preparing for breastfeeding and also as an all-around resource.
Nursing Mother, Working Mother
Gale Pryor and Kathleen Huggins
– Wondering if you can breastfeed successfully when you go back to work? I love this simple, straightforward resource.
Balancing Breast and Bottle
Amy Peterson and Mindy Harmer
– Concerned about nipple confusion and other issues with giving bottles to your breastfed baby? This is a helpful and reassuring read.
The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers
Dr. Jack Newman
– A great go-to resource for your whole breastfeeding journey.
Making More Milk
Diana West and Lisa Marasco
– Great for mamas worried about or struggling with milk supply.
Stanford Breastfeeding – I love these videos! Learn latching tips, how to manually express milk, or watch Maximizing Milk Production to learn how to pump more milk.
Low Milk Supply.org & BFAR – While no website can substitute for a lactation consult, these sister sites can give you insight into working with low milk supply or concerns about breastfeeding after breast surgery.
Breastfeeding Online – This is such a great collection of resources, including articles by Dr. Jack Newman.
Breastfeeding.com – Wonderful resources and a panel of experts to help answer your questions.
Sleeping With Your Baby
Dr. James McKenna
– Confused about infant sleep, safety, and sanity? If you only read one thing about babies and sleep, read this. You’ll be so glad you did!
Diane Weissinger, Diana West, Linda Smith, Teresa Pitman
– This excellent new resource discusses current research and practical application so you can make safe and sane decisions about helping your baby (and the whole family) sleep!
Mother-Baby Behavioral Sleep Laboratory at the University of Notre Dame & James McKenna’s Articles at The Natural Child Project – Do you wonder what the truth is about safe sleep for your baby? Don’t miss these resources from the premier infant sleep researcher.
Many “Infant Sleep Problems” Are Actually Normal Patterns of Infant Sleep, New White Paper Finds – Knowing how babies are wired to sleep can help alleviate parental stress and anxiety about sleep.
What about Sleep Training? – This excellent article references research about sleep training methods, and links at the bottom will take you to other resources you’ll find very useful.
Doctors Opposing Circumcision – Questions about circumcision and looking for evidence-based information? This is a huge collection of just such information. If you only look at one thing on this site, go to the Videos page and watch the excellent Prepuce video (This video shows the structure, function, and purpose of the foreskin, and is NOT a “procedure video”. It is tastefully done, mostly stills and narration, and highly educational.)
Psychology Today Circumcision Series – This amazing series addresses the history of infant circumcision, the common questions and myths surrounding it, and features an impressive array of research. The link takes you to the first in a series of six excellent articles.
General Parenting Resources
Ask Dr. Sears – This is my go-to resource for parents with questions about immunizations
Peaceful Parenting by Dr. Momma – I love this site! So much more than opinion, this site collects and discusses strong evidence to help you make your best parenting decisions.
Dr. Jay Gordon – Questions about circumcision, Babywise (or Growing Kids God’s Way), or other topics? This site is for you.